Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Books

Luke and I started The Chronicles of Narnia this afternoon... I have to sadly admit I have never read any of them. As part of our summer I would like to read alot to the kids. I find myself so busy lately that reading has been on the back burner and I really miss reading to them! Bo even sat quietly with us as I read a few chapters today. We started with book one The Magicians Nephew.
I am really enjoying the book I mentioned the other day by Elizabeth George, the title of the book is A Mom After Gods Own Heart. I am only on chapter 3 and already see a need for change in my everyday routine, Daddy and I do devotions every morning before he leaves for work but really have been falling short on the bible reading with the kids. This book really focuses on the verse in Deuteronomy about teaching your children as you wake up as you are in your house as you are away as you rest and everyday! I as a home school mom am really ashamed of myself, we read (although not much lately) but just not the Bible, I almost feel that I have let the enemy lie to me... Thinking the kids are not ready for real Bible reading, so today right after Daddy left for work I sat all 3 of them down and read from the Bible the story of Daniel and The Lions Den, it only took about 5 minutes, Daisy listened for about 2 of those, Bo and Luke listened the whole time and were really interested at the end. As I daily pray for wisdom I know God will instruct me in which story's the kids will enjoy. I know 5 minutes is not long but it is long enough at this age. I want our kids to know above all other learning and above all other books God word comes first, that's why we are home schooling in the first place.
Elizabeth Georges book also brings to mind that devotionals are great but do not and will never take the place of real Bible reading, I really enjoy devotionals and motivational books and do sometimes use them in place of the Bible, which thankful has now been brought to my attention (in a devotional book) as wrong. I am committing myself to at least 15 minutes a day not including the time with the kids.
I can remember a time I never missed my quite time with the Lord, that was pre-kids. I now find everything else in the way and sometimes miss days at a time, even sometime my Bible stays in the car all week. I love that I never leave our Church not feeling the strong desire to grow in my relationship with Christ. I feel daily lead by the Holy Spirit to read his word, and a true guilt when I do not follow through. I always pray for wisdom and Gods answer always seems to be read my word. I pray for peace and God says find comfort and joy as well as peace in the promises of my word. As a Christ follower it is almost a one way selfish relationship with out daily taking part in reading the Holy Word of God.
So as I have now had a few minutes to rant and rave I need to use my time wisely and go read my Bible...

No comments: