Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Our vacation part 1

Hi do you remember me, Happy Mommy the sometimes funny, sometimes sad, sometimes overwhelmed woman who used to write here?   It's me and yes we are alive!  I know its been forever and I have been thinking alot about just shutting this whole thing down, but then that means I can't come back, and what if I want to write something.  So I figure if I write every now and then and not just for the comments which you all know I love but I write because I want to this might just be fun again.  I will not shut the site down I am going to keep writing but as I said before, when I can.   I am happy to say HD still has a job and we do not have to move.  God has stepped in again and made a way for us to remain right where we are and I am so grateful and thankful!
Now on with part one of our family vacation~
We left our house on March 27 for our two week vacation, we drove to DC which is about a four hour drive.  We left that evening after HD got off work so we were getting a late start.  I had the car packed, I don't know how I did it I really don't we had 5 large suitcases, 3 back packs, 2 carry on suitcases and my purse.  By the time we arrived at Dana and Joe's house it was after 9 pm and HD immediately started helping Joe pack his minivan too.  Did I mention we had 11 people going on this two week vacation?  ELEVEN!  That's 5 small children 2 of them are not potty trained, two couples and my mom who is handicapped and can't walk long distances and my grandma who is 78 and also can't walk long distances....
Very shortly after we got to Dana's and I mean very shortly only about 15 minutes my mom called me down stairs and said something was wrong with my son Bo.  I started to come down the stairs as he was coming up to show me.  He held out his had and it was evidently broken!  I took him by the shoulders and told him to sit down right where he was I told him he had broken his hand and that it was going to be ok, we were just going to go to the hospital and he would be just fine, all the while he was white as a ghost and was starting to shake.
I told HD to get directions from Joe and off we went.  I could totally tell this hand was broken at the bone where the pinky finger attaches to the hand, fingers are not supposed to stick out sideways like that!!!  On the drive over to the hospital HD said yeah it's broken, when he showed it to me I kissed it and said it's ok buddy,  At this point I am not sure my ears are working correctly, I ask him did Bo come to you BEFORE he came to me?  HD answers yes, I know it looked funny but we are going on a Cruise in less than 12 hours so I didn't want it to be broken.  Again I say WHAT!  He said I sent him to you, I needed a minute to think about what I just saw and I know fingers are not supposed to do that.
After a very short time at the hospital, and a few Xrays later yes he has a broken bone, the one between his pinky finger and his hand, they made a removable cast and we would be able to splint it while we were in the pools and on the beaches during our Cruise and then while we were at Atlantis as well.
We got home at around mid night and he was still doing really well for breaking his hand.  He never cried, he is really a trooper!  We hurried off to bed, we had to get up at 4am to be at the airport at 5.
The airport with that many people is crazy.  We had a child with a broken arm who now was not feeling so well.  We had two babies who where crying because well its 5 am, and two women in wheelchairs, if we wanted to draw attention to ourselves we accomplished it that's for sure.
The flight to FL was short only about 2 hours, the kids all did really well, until we landed and Reese was very sick!  She started throwing up.  By 2 we were finally on the ship.  We went on Royal Caribbeans Liberty of the Sea.  It was amazing.  I really had no idea of how big these ships are it really is like a city on the water!  



littletoesandcheerios said...

I love that first pic of you. When you get the chance mail, post or email me the pic of you & HD with the kids all dressed up. I'm making a photo book for Pebbles.

Trista said...

Happy Mommy, I am so glad you are back. I've checked in on you now and then and kept hoping you'd pop your head in and let us know how you were doing. I hope your vacation was fabulous.

Growin' with it! said...

well i will say that the whole trauma before a big trip is no stranger to this household. so it is awesome to see these wonderful pictures after such a long ordeal. wow! and seriously, he never cried? now that is one tough kiddo who obviously trusts his parents!

looks like the cruise was a fabulous time for your whole family. glad to see you back and ahem...you better not think about shutting down. i'm here waiting when you do post ya know! i'd miss ya too much!

One More Equals Four said...

Wow! Sounds like lots of fun and drama! I'm glad you checked in. I had even said this morning that I should just comment to let you know I was thinking about you! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

Our life is a bowl of Barry's said...

So glad to hear you are all doing well....I was beginning to wonder?! Looks like you had a fabulous time. Cruises are always fun! Fantastic news about your husband's job. We spent 6 weeks on the unemployed roller coaster but just found out he has a new job!! Our stress load has greatly diminished. I hope you do keep up-I enjoy checking in...you seem to always have something fun to talk about and share! Take care!

The Maid said...

Glad you got to have a great vacation! ;) I know it is crazy to travel with the kids and all, but what a memory...so worth it! ;)

Good to see you again on your blog. I know how you feel...just hanging on to every precious little moment I have these days. Little time for blogging....and facebook sure takes away laundry time! LOL

Glad to hear about HD's job! PRaise God!

Take Care!
The Maid

Melissa said...

I have to say I haven't been blogging either, I'm so glad to hear about HD's job!! How wonderful to go on a cruise like that and with so many family members. Wow you had a night with going to the ER to:)

Joshua Boyce said...

Happy Mommy, you said young guys probably wouldn't be interested in a 'mommy' blog...and mostly you would be right, but you have a nice way of writing and you're as addicted to comments as I am!

I'm impressed with how you handled the broken hand.

I can imagine a lot of Mom's getting sick and hysterical (Not that there's really anything wrong with that...but [I think] children like to see confidence in their parents. After all, if they can't hear that it's gonna be ok from their parents, who can they hear it from?)